Monday, June 6, 2011

Call the Son-Rise Program immediately

There are several different treatments out there, so why do the Son-Rise program? Because it is the only program that focuses on the relationship between you and your child, and that gives the PARENTS the tools to cope. As I mentioned in Putting myself first, helping your child is all about your attitude. The Son-Rise program is the master of attitudes, beliefs, and hope. When I went to the Start Up program in the UK last January, it was the first time I truly felt hope for Ezra. Before it was desperation. The Son-Rise program gave me the tools to be OK with Ezra's diagnosis, to understand, and accept him. It was liberating, not to have to try and change him.

Kids in the Son-Rise program can recover completely. ABA therapies can work in helping your child manage tasks, but if you want your child to become a connected human being who WANTS to be a part of this world, this is the program to use. As evidence of this claim, the Son-Rise program was just voted the number one therapy tool in the Autism One Conference in Chicago 2011.
Now, not all kids will recover with this program. I'm not telling you to not consider other programs, but knowing what I know now, I wish I could go back and tell myself to throw all skepticism overboard, and run it while Ezra was even just one year old. It seems to me that the kids that recover completely are those who had intensive one on one therapy for 40-70 hours a week, for 2-3 years before they turned 6 years of age.

It might seem as if it costs a lot, but really, it's a drop on the hot stone compared what an ABA full time school costs, or even a DIR floor time school. I think the Rebecca School in NYC which would be one of my dream schools for Ezra costs $72,500 a year. Speech and occupational therapy twice a week costs $1200 a month. With this program, some of those therapies become superfluous. You will run it with the help of volunteers.

Before you skip over this blog post, reconsider giving it a try. Even if you don't have a full time program, the people at the Autism Treatment Center of America are the most loving and caring people you'll ever meet. Their attitude is infectious.

Raise some money to go the Start Up. We did it. It's doable. They also have scholarships.
http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/contents/programs_and_services/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment