Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mwahaha! Persistence paid off. Picky eater mom wins.

I didn't think this day would come, and yet here we are. Ten days have past. I remember ten days ago, cooking only the foods the picky eater crew would eat. I remember what it was like to have Ezra scream at food he didn't want, throw it across the table, throw himself on the floor and have a temper tantrum for 50 minutes. I remember him hitting and pinching me for 20 minutes, screaming at me to get what he wanted. I remember both of them refusing all food. I remember exchanging TV time and honey for bites. I remember four years passing with Micah refusing every single fruit and vegetable except for grapes, and raisins. It seems impossible that these same two children issued following statements today:

Micah: My tummy hurts a bit. I think I need some more broth. Can I have some more please?
*
Micah: Mom, can I have some spinach juice please? Just make me some spinach juice now (at bedtime).
*
Micah: I had my broth for lunch at school. It was so good.
*
Ezra: Ooh, can I have a carrot, celery juice please? Please, mom?

And what did they have four lunch? I made them both "Pizza" again. It's basically ground up chicken, cauliflower, and onion spread thin like a pizza crust on a baking sheet. I heated it up and covered it with tomato sauce. They snacked it up. And for dinner I mixed 1 kg (2 lbs) of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and onions with about 1.5 lbs of ground pork, added some spices, and baked it in the oven in a casserole dish (for us adults, I stuffed peppers with the filling). I presented the sausage casserole and peppers and allowed them choose. They both had several helpings of the casserole including their delicious carrot and zucchini chips.

Bottom line: it can be done. Detox is crazy difficult, but 10 days of struggles is all it took, versus a life time of carb addiction and unhealthy gut. Do they eat plain veggies...well, yes but not readily. But hey, they're eating veggies, demanding healthy juice and broth, and eventually I think they will be able to and want to try all sorts of new foods, as long as it looks good and contains a major motivating delicious word like 'sausage', 'pizza', or 'chips.


2 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog and have decided that next week i am going to start the introduction diet with my family.

    I gave away all the grains in my house to a friend who needed them and I have been making full-gaps diet foods for awhile now.

    I have 6 and 8 year old boys and I explained to them about how the diet goes. They are not picky eaters (well, Liam would eat only meat and veggies and Parker would eat only garbage he is likely on the spectrum somewhere) and I bribed them with TV (we haven't watched in months so this was effective!).

    So I am preparing this week for next and nervous. Did you make up several different types of bone broth ahead?

    I would love to chat with you about this! I need help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa. Congratulations on getting started. It is a big deal. One resource I found in getting started was the Intro diet meal plan from this website http://www.healthhomehappy.com/2011/02/gaps-meal-plan-giveaway-3-winners-3-months-each-gaps-book.html
    However, I have to say the following about the meal plan: pro...it lists nicely the different stages, and things to prepare, and it is very organized. For example if you're making squash pancakes with homemade nut butter, she tells you three days before to soak the nuts. So that part is helpful. What I didn't like is that she doesn't specify what you can eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Every day just has a few recipes, and those recipes are not that great. They are very doable, but don't look super appetizing, nor do they taste all that great.

    As for your question about the broth. I made beef, chicken, and fish stock ahead of time. I haven't used the fish stock yet, as my husband really can't stand the smell of fish. After about a week my kids developed a preference for beef stock. I switch it up. At first they didn't want to take any, and now I can barely keep up with the supply.
    I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, email me. I'm also on Facebook (Vanessa Houssian) if you want to chat.

    ReplyDelete