Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Lottery diet!

Lottery diet is what I'm now calling the GAPS diet, because if we won the lottery, we might be able to continue it.
Things have been going pretty well. It's hard to imagine that 10 days ago I had to bribe my kids with toys and TV time to get them to drink their broth. I would sit in front of the TV and let them watch one minute of their show for every sip they drank. Now they actually request the broth.
Two days ago I made a recipe from the Introdiet cookbook I downloaded from online. It was total rubbish. I mean, it tasted ok, but food has to look good, not just taste good. I really don't blame my kids for balking at the site of the zucchini chicken casserole. So yesterday I ground up cauliflower, onions, and chicken breasts, added some salt, spread the whole thing onto a baking tray and baked it. I even sliced some tomatoes onto it and declared it was pizza. In addition to that, I peeled carrots, and kept peeling them to thin strips and then fried them in coconut oil, and added my new favorite salt ever, Hymalian salt. The combination of coconut, sweet, crisp, and salty is utterly divine. Not only did my kids snack up the pizza and carrots, they demanded seconds, thirds, and wanted some for lunch again today. HA! And Ezra doesn't like chicken. Well, he actually likes chicken, he just thinks he doesn't.

So if all that is going so well, what's the problem? I seem to go to the store 3 times a day now, to keep our veggies stocked. I make juice for the kids. If they don't want to eat their veggies, I give them the option of a green juice, but that requires carrots, and apples. I've added up all the receipts from since we started the GAPS, so 10 days and it added up to 540 euros. So, you can imagine why I feel like maybe we won't be able to continue eating this way. Who has 1500 Euros for food a month? We don't have enough time to start our own vegetable garden, and it would have to be a pretty massive one to supply all the food necessary. I would just buy food in bulk, but that is not something that is done here. I tried to work out some deals with the suppliers, and they just figure 'hey, this lady wants to buy my food, why should I discount it?'. So we are trying to figure out the financial aspect.

The other thing is, I really am in the kitchen a lot. I was so happy that I would now have some time to myself now that the kids are in school, and I have been busier than ever, making them breakfasts, packing special lunches, working, shopping, planning. I don't know how I did all that when they were home. So we will have to see. Perhaps we have to aim lower and just do the best we can.

1 comment:

  1. i'll talk to some people i know who have vegetable gardens and see what i can come up with. also, i'm gonna call my sister in law, she lives out on a farm and maybe she knows some other farmers in the area who can cut you a deal on chicken and or beef

    later and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete