Saturday, August 15, 2009

Scheveningen Beach and The Windmills at Kinderdijk

I really need to get the pictures up. I prefer seeing pictures. Too bad this lame camera we brought from the US doesn't have the cord so I can download the pictures we took today.
Today was a perfect day. It started out with a solo trip to the market for mommy, to buy lots of delicious fruit and vegetables. After returning home and trying to use every square inch of our tiny fridge to keep our veggies cold we packed everyone plus pic-nic into the Volvo and made for the beach.
With help of Jane (we call our TomTom Jane), we made it to the Scheveningen beach in an 1 and 30 minutes. The weather was perfect, a mere 26 degrees, abundant sunshine, and lots of wind to keep us cool. The beach was packed, and so were the parking spots. After 45 minutes we finally found a spot on a street that was over a small dune. I felt bad for having my mom walk so far, but was happy that once we arrived at the beach, we found table and chairs in a childrens play area that was on the boardwalk. Ezra and Micah loved jumping on the trampoline and of course Micah was all about the ball pit. 3 Euros for 20 minutes. Worth it, I thought. We had our pic-nic and took the kids down to the ocean for a swim. Micah did his cute little excited happy dance and enjoyed just sitting in the little pool created by an elevated sandbank. We looked for seashells together. Ezra and daddy walked along the beach. Neither of the kids were very excited about the waves, or going into them. In fact both of them were rather scared. I hope that changes. Aching for a real swim I did get to sneak back after they were jumping on the trampolines again.
Scheveningen Beach by Den Haag

Two and half hours later the kids had enough. It took us 45 minutes to drive 2km, the traffic at the beach was so bad, and Jane completely lost it trying to talk us into driving into one way streets and pedestrian walk zones. Good thing I'm still smart enough to find my way out of the city. Jane and I were on good terms again when she lead us safely to the Kinderdijk, where we visited the perhaps most famous icon of Holland: the windmills. There were several windmills even working ones that were built in 1740. We got to go inside one of them which was actually rather unremarkable aside the steepness of the stairs. Nonetheless we loved the outing because we strapped Ezra and Micah on rental bikes and got to see the whole Dijk. Both of them complained and Micah at first was so scared he covered his eyes with his hands and cried, until he saw that Mommy wasn't completely incompetent. On the way back he even sang a bit. Anyway, typically what would have happened, had we walked is that after 20 yards, Micah would have started complaining and wanted to be picked up. Then Ezra would have wanted to be picked up as well, and before we had gone 30 yards they would both be crying and hanging around my neck. I would be annoyed, and rather than drag 60 lbs worth of children for any length of time, I would have just gone back to the car. This way, we got some complaining, but got to see everything. Very fun. Can't wait until we get my bike.

Kinderdjik in Netherlands August 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment