One of the blessings of living in Europe is that the General Authority of our Church realizes that the Saints in Europe need extra support and strength, as they are practically an island of believers in an ocean of apathy and atheism. I had the privilege of attending a fireside with Sister Sheri L. Dew and Sister Nelson in Utrecht. We got lost on the way there (why do highways have several different names, and E30's are really not exit signs, rather streets). We arrived at 7:25 pm. The fireside had started at 7 PM. The small building was packed, but some nice brother found my mom a chair to sit, and I weaseled my way into the congregation and found a standing spot next to the dividing doors. I was almost grateful to stand because it was so incredibly hot. No air conditioning and 300 people packed in row by row. I felt sorry for Sister Dew who was standing up there. She looked as if nothing would faze her, but she didn't fool me. I knew that she was dying under that long sleeved jacket, long skirt and nylons she was wearing. She confirmed later to me that she had been. We had just turned up when she was giving her message. She said that if she were Satan and had to make sure we didn't accomplish our mission in life she would do three things: 1. she would make us get confused about our gender, and about our worth, making us think we had to prove ourselves to men, weren't good enough, could only be valuable if we had a career.
2. she would make sure we didn't understand the atonement of Christ and it's healing power.
3. she would prevent us from learning how to get personal revelations
She then said that she feels it is her mission in life to help us accomplish our mission in life, and if she had the chance to do that these are what the things she would have us do:
1. she would help us understand our worth
2. she would help us understand the atonement
3. and she would teach us how to gain personal revelation
I came away from the meeting so edified, and wondering what the world would be like if all women understood and lived the gospel like Sister Dew and Sister Nelson.
I never finished this post the night I came home because it was so late. Too bad. Should have stayed up.
No comments:
Post a Comment