Sunday, August 23, 2009

1st Amsterdam trip 8/22/09







I dropped off Aaron at the airport in Amsterdam this Saturday for his Vancouver business trip and decided to drive through Amsterdam a bit as I had never visited it. I wanted to cross going to the Van Gogh museum off my bucket list, so I set the tomtom and off we went. We got there in no time, but the line outside was so long, and I had Ezra, Micah and Granny with me, so I decided to come back some other time. Instead we just drove around the city. Amsterdam's streets are narrower then a sidewalk in a strip mall in America. Parked cars line the canals that criss cross the city. Next to the line of cars are 8-10 feet wide roads between the houses that are joined one to another, row for row. Some of the houses are no more than 8 feet wide, just enough for a door and a window to fit on one side, but instead they make up for space in height, being 3-4 stories tall. I've never been inside one yet, but I'm guessing they are dark and have lots of stairs.
Anyway, lots to see. We'll go back again and take a boat trip with the kids when Aaron is back from Vancouver.

1 comment:

  1. So I'm guessing you're not in love with The Netherlands? I wouldn't know what to expect there either. I've only been to Italy and it was a dream. Hope it grows on you...quickly.

    ReplyDelete