And I'm not. Let's face it. Life has been pretty challenging lately (and what's up with that, by the way? I thought there were seasons of rest planned into the whole trials thing. Just saying, I'm about ready here!)
Having a special needs child, and two children with lots of food intolerances can be frustrating, aggravating, inconvenient, and expensive. I don't really enjoy reading rants though, unless they are super witty. And honestly, everyone has to go through some tough times! The refining of character isn't measured by how many trials we endure, but how we endure them. I for one get lots of opportunities to practice patience, and choosing happiness. I guess I really needed to learn some things.
Anyway, this is why food blogs have increased lately, because it is a way for me to share a positive outcome of my 'faith-promoting' opportunities. If nothing else my kids' food issues definitely give me opportunity to experiment in the kitchen.
So here it is. My super yummy Conference* waffles recipe.
Disclaimer: are these anything like the real waffles from Belgium? Well, sweet cheeks, I actually lived in Brussels for a while, and enjoyed many a piping hot belge waffle straight off the press, and no!, nothing is like a real belge waffle. And those horrible, dry, pancake-battery tasting things they try to pass off as belge waffles in the US, are definitely NOTHING like the real Belge waffles. In my baking experience nothing makes up for one pound of butter, white flour, and sugar. But, you know, a yummy, sweet, moist, waffle is still better than no waffle at all when you're allowed to eat basically nothing. Oh and by the way, any waffle tastes better when fresh off the press. Even if you eat them the same day, it's just not as good as piping hot.
This recipe makes about 30 waffles. You can just half it, but if your family is anything like mine, 10 waffles are not enough for a meal.
Wet Ingredients:
2 bananas
5 tbsp apple sauce
4 tbsp honey Put all wet ingredients in the blender and blend on high.
3 cups rice milk
4 tbsp oil
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups sorghum flour (also known as Juvar, which you can find in Indian markets)
1.5 cups rice flour
1/2 cup corn starch (or arrow root powder, or potato starch)
2 tsp xantham gum
2 1/2 tbsp baking powder (yes, you read it right, table spoons)
2 tsp salt
1 cup of secret ingredient**
In a separate bowl whisk these dry ingredients together and then add wet ingredients. Mix well.
Put two table spoons of batter into your waffle iron. Depends of course how big it is. Cook until the waffle stays firm when the lid is lifted. You'll have to figure out for yourself how long it is.
In my experience it is easier to wait until the waffle is an amber color.
Things I've learned along the way:
- if you lift the lid too early the waffle will tear, but you can just put it back down, and it will still work.
- light brown waffles are harder to get out than a dark amber colored waffle
- 2 tbsp of batter is really enough to make the waffle
*I call them conference waffles because the first time I made them was General Conference weekend. I bought a waffle maker the day before and experimented with this recipe. It turned out well on the first try. I spread out a blanket in front of the TV and gave my kids waffles for dinner, and for breakfast while they were listening to conference. This is a tradition I hope will last.
** The secret ingredient: this is it. Pearled sugar. Not sure that you can get it in the US. I highly doubt it. It's just sugar in lumps that caramelize on the surface, but stay crunchy in the batter.
These were really tasty. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSounds good, and they look awesome. And no, there is no substitute for a real gaufre . . . but you can buy sugar pearls at Ikea. :o)
ReplyDeleteOoh cool. Thanks for the tip Mary.
ReplyDelete