- First things first. When you wake up, give yourself a good mental smack for not getting up earlier to make a huge fancy breakfast.
- While you're making the kids the special nut, egg, gluten, casein free pancakes they can eat, beat yourself up about the fact that you can't make them their favorite foods, or the big eggs, bacon, and cinnamon rolls breakfast, because they're intolerant to it.
- While your kids are having a great time finding the eggs you hid the night before, berate yourself for not being able to give them big baskets full of candy, and not having decorated the table with chocolate eggs. If you're tempted to remember the reason why you can't give them those candies, just blame yourself for not giving them a better DNA.
- Have high expectations of your kids. Assume that they will behave and be kind just because it's a holiday.
- While they're eating their candy, feel guilty that you broke down and gave them chocolate eggs.
- When after five minutes your autistic child reacts to the chocolate and casein, starts screaming, barking, and hurting his younger sibling, remind yourself that it's your fault and feel guilty. (For good measure give yourself a mental kick for believing all these judgmental people around you who call you a strict parent, and have no clue what it's like to have a special needs child.)
- If you are a Mormon, go to church with huge expectations that everyone else will have grasped how significant Easter is and that they too will want to celebrate this grand occasion with beautiful music, and uplifting talks.
- Look for opportunities to be annoyed, like when the meeting starts 8 minutes late.
- During the sacrament don't focus on remembering the resurrection or Christ. Instead get annoyed at the lack of common courtesy demonstrated by the parent of the screaming child, who won't take her into the hall.
- Determine the nationality of the parent, and remind yourself of every time a person with that nationality has lacked common courtesy. Then get irritated at your spouse for taking a job in a country that lacks common courtesy.
- When the first speaker announces that you can go to sleep because he'll give a boring talk, take it as evidence that everyone is out to annoy you today.
- When the second speaker gets up and also demonstrates a lack of courtesy by speaking for 40 minutes, so the bishop has to cut his talk to 2 minutes and dispense with the intermediate hymn, repeat step 10.
- When the same speaker who started the meeting late and took up all the time then gets up to close the meeting by giving another mini talk, repeat step 10.
- Complain to your spouse, and to anyone who will listen that you don't belong to a church that values music, and good talks. As much as you are tempted, don't remember General Conference talks or MoTab. Just focus on how these talks are ruining your Easter expectations.
- If you happen to get happy feelings during church because the primary kids are extra cute, squish them as soon as you can by reminding yourself that you might feel good now, but it's just the calm before the storm.
- When church is over, and you realize that the potluck isn't happening because it's Easter, berate yourself for not trusting your common sense, which told you early that morning there wouldn't be one.
- When your autistic child freaks out because he expected a pot luck and there wasn't one, remind yourself that you're a lousy parent.
- After you get your kids in the car, and your autistic child freaks out even more because you also didn't prepare a lunch box, berate yourself again for not being prepared for every eventuality.
- Remind yourself that this situation warrants dining out, and then get very angry because you left your credit card at home.
- Get angry at your spouse because he didn't comply with your assumption that he had his wallet, and that he didn't read your mind to bring it. Remind yourself of everything else he does wrong, and take it as evidence for a disastrous marriage.
- After 30 minutes of crying from your autistic child, first curse scientists for not inventing beaming technology. Blame yourself for not having invented it. Assume your child will starve, or melt down completely. Up your anxiety level, throw caution and blood pressure to the wind by flooring it home.
- When you get home and your special needs child acts completely remote, doesn't listen, respond, and switches between hyperactive and despondent, feel really sorry for yourself, and assume that everyone else's life is easier than yours.
- Whatever else you do, take yourself and your thoughts seriously. Don't think about the fact that you're being ridiculous and negative. It will ruin all your hard work!
Anyway, hope you found some entertainment in this post. I'm going to go celebrate now how silly I was being today, I mean, er...how silly my friend was today, and enjoy the gorgeous evening, and the feeling of satisfaction one has on a perfect spring evening after eating a lovely Easter dinner.
Very Funny, and yes, I have often been guilty of similar feelings and thoughts. And if anyone says they have never felt this way - hard to believe.
ReplyDeleteso you floored it home huh? how fast did you get home? did you set a record?
ReplyDeletewho gave that long boring talk and then repeated it and started late? i'm just wondering - can you ask your "friend" for me?
thanks for the thought from Dr. Daniel Amen. what a cool last name. I agree with him. Some times of the month or day as it is for me sometimes i think very negatively and i have to work real hard to overcome that thought process which spirals down fast.
Hahaha...sounds like you had a §*"&% EAster SUnday. Glad you can laugh about yourself. I'Ve been trying "Autosuggestion" and it works miracles for me, I keep repeating a little manta of 3 positive attributes about myself and it helps. I'll give writing the ANTs down a shot. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even have any of the easter stuff out or even ready before 2 pm...
ReplyDeleteOh dear Vanessa!!!! I sensed you weren't on top form when you played the wrong closing hymn!! Ooops.....I guess you missed that one in your long list!! I have to admit that I did laugh when I read it because I too have days like this.It seems that once you start you can't stop yourself.It's a bit like eating chocolate!
ReplyDeleteJust for the record though,(and so that you realise that not every-one is thinking negative at the same time as you are),I was actually looking at you today and thinking how serene and beautiful you were looking! So,despite all going wrong you still managed to maintain the composure of a true princess! (Which is what you are,you gorgeous lady!)
Thanks for your honesty and your great example of serenity and patience.I will try to do the same next time I have one of those days.:)
Love ya babe! ;)
Oh, Vanessa, I have so been that kind of person before. The negativity just escalates until I'm a total wreck. I hope everything turned out ok. I'm just glad that you're wise enough to be able to look back and see what was going on. I'm sorry your Easter was a hard one. If it makes you feel any better, I could tell you about my Easter:
ReplyDeleteWake up at 4am to oldest child calling my name. Clean up her vomit all over her bed, change her clothes, try to get more sleep. Wake up at 7am to third child with diarrhea. Beg God to make it all better so that we can all go to church because a)it's Easter for Pete's sake, and b)we've just been transferred to a new ward due to new ward boundaries and I'm totally excited about seeing what it'll be like. No luck. Left at home during church. Spend next three hours cleaning up vomit from two children, steam cleaned the carpet (from vomit), cleaned the leather couch (also covered in vomit) watched one child throw up while watching the other child throw up, hand rinsed all the smelly, soiled bedding, clothing, and towels that have been used in the last 8 hrs, and ran a load of laundry. All this while trying to fix a decent meal.
Church is over and I think at last, help is here. Chaos over baskets that weren't found in the morning, husband blows up because kids are being crazy. "And guess what, hon, I've invited my friend over for dinner!" Luckily, after youngest child got diarrhea and tracked it all over the livingroom carpet, I was able to convince him that today just was not the day to invite a friend over for dinner! And here we are. I've got some dough in the kitchen that is not going to successfully become rolls, and children who really aren't in a position to eat the dinner I managed to cook. It seems like you are not alone during this "joyous" day! But through it all, I'm trying to remember...why we have it. HAPPY EASTER, Vanessa. You really are a fantastic mother!!
@Melissa...well no, I don't want to tell you who that person was, because I actually really value them. And yes, I do think I got home rather quickly. I'll be waiting for speeding tickets.
ReplyDelete@Anonymous...my day got much better, but even so, your comment totally made my day!
@Dorothy: yup, you're Easter was suckier than mine. You win! I can't believe you wanted to go to church with a child that threw up the night before. Naughty. Then everyone else will get sick too. Anyway, I'm really sorry for your lousy Easter, and that your kiddos are all so sick. No fun. Maybe next Easter get them a basket with eggs, and then a special Easter bucket to deposit their throw up in, so you can maintain holiday spirit.
Hugs to you and your little ones. I hope they get better soon.
Vanessa, great post. I love your honesty.
ReplyDelete