Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Sweet Potato Corn Bread GFCF, and egg free
Curiosity has it's price. I should have remembered the movie The Matrix before having my kids blood tested for food intolerances. Why, oh why, didn't I just take the blue pill? Now I know. It's too late.
I suppose I could ignore all the results by just continuing to give them the food they want to eat, but my conscience would haunt me even in my sleep. Not kidding by the way.
So on top of food preservatives, colorings, Gluten and Casein, which upon seeing it listed amongst their intolerances I uttered a satisfied "ha, I knew it", I can now add eggs and nuts to the Do-Not-Eat list. Ezra can also not eat most acidic fruits (like lemon, orange, melons, kiwi, apricots, etc). Surprisingly the boys are also very intolerant to oats, coconuts, garlic, flaxseed, sesame, and coffee. Pretty random. I thought, well at least that leaves some baked goods and fries, but Ezra can't have vanilla bean, and Micah can't have white potatoes. Ugh. Blue pill! I should have taken the blue pill!
Now I feel the responsibility to respect those intolerances and come up with new food they can and WANT to eat. It would all be very simple if I could just feed them meat and vegetables. In fact, that would be awesome, because it would help my persistent lbs melt away too. Instead of cooking three different types of foods for Aaron, kids, and myself I could just make the same thing for everyone, and we would all be slender and healthy! However, my picky little friends eat no veggies, and Ezra despises most forms of meat except the unhealthy ones like Hot Dogs and bacon. He's not yet stopped throwing unwanted food across the table or screaming at his salad bowl, so I'm not really keen on introducing him to all chicken and meatloaf.
Tonight, I browsed through some recipes and found one that was quite tasty. I substituted some flours, because I didn't have enough corn on hand and it came out very moist, and yummy.
Sweet Potato Corn Squares
Ingredients
1 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp salt
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1 egg (I used Egg Replacer)
1 cup rice milk
1/3 cup white sugar and molasses (1/3 cup total, I just filled the measuring cup with half molasses, half sugar)
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Mix dry ingredients
3. Mix wet ingredients until well blended
4. Mix them all together and either put in muffin cups or a square cake tin sprayed with PAM
5. Bake for about 30 min or until firm
6. Cut into squares and serve with butter/jam, or even soup or savory meal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Vanessa, I'm curious, if you took the test, what results show up for you?
ReplyDeleteNow, think... God made a lot of food on this earth, and this can be like a game for the kids to go out there and discover it!
Can he eat butternut squash? Because that is so yummy!
Well, he can eat a lot of vegetables, and meat. It would make it so much easier if I could just "make" him eat stuff, but sadly, that's not how it works. He can't have asparagus, eggplant, or red peppers though. Pretty random, huh?
ReplyDelete