Friday, December 24, 2010

The Dog Experiment

My week as a dog owner was very interesting. For one thing I figured out that I'm really more of a cat person, because I prefer their independence. And picking up poop is kind of gross. It might be the size of the dog though, and perhaps I just need a dog that doesn't follow me around everywhere so I can trip over yet another body lying around the floor (I'm referring obviously to my live kids who trail me everywhere, not the dead bodies I keep stashed away on my floor).
The most interesting insight I had into a dog owner's life is that I was suddenly in the "in"-club. I have been going walking in the beautiful Joe Mannweg Forest all year with my kids. Both boys loved Lea and they generally love all dogs. They show their enthusiasm by jumping up and down, laughing, screaming, running up to them and asking (well we're working on that part) to pet them. There were always some friendly people who would give them a little smile and let them pet their dog. Some exceptionally awesome people even let Ezra throw a ball for the dog to fetch it, but in general people gave me the keep-your-psychotic-kids-away-from-my-dog-look. During our week with Lea we walked her every day in that same forest. This time however I was no longer the dog-less mom with psycho kids. Suddenly people were smiling, returning my greetings, and nodding in Lea's direction when she would have a little sniff-up with her fellow four-legged friends. Keep in mind here that this is the same forest, same kids, same trail, same behavior (if anything more exuberant), but now I was getting the benevolent look-how-much-those-kids-love-their-dog-they're-so-cute-look. Perhaps this immediate acceptance comes from a knowledge of what it takes to be a dog owner, the early walks, the training, the brushing, feeding, picking up poop, snuggling, and loving your pet. Perhaps it's just an immediate visual commonality that makes the unfamiliar less threatening. I miss that part.
I'm glad Lea is back with her owner, although I miss the walks with my kids who are now not as motivated to go to the forest and that unspoken bond that people dog owners seem to share.
 I love how Ezra got so used to Lea that he wanted to have contact with her all the time.

 I'm grateful I got to take pictures with my iPod but I wish it would have done the incredible winter light justice. It was truly magical.

 Our favorite place here, the Joe Mannweg forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment