Monday, October 25, 2010

Ezra's Birthday

Where has September gone? And for that matter, October is almost over and here I haven't posted since August.
We celebrated Ezra's birthday recently. It was exciting to see Ezra finally understand what birthday's are about. Now he knows to expect a cake, presents, and a party. We delivered of course. His wish list kept getting longer and longer the closer we got to the event. Of course the flip side of the coin is that true to his autism he's not only excited about his birthday, he now asks to have a cake and party every day.

I have a few very gifted cake decorating friends. I always admire their creations and thought I'd give it creating a themed birthday cake for Ezra a shot. He's really into airports, runways, and planes right now, so I thought I'd try to make him an airport cake (at first I thought of making him a galaxy cake but with no food colorings, no can do). Turns out that a perfectionist with no cake decorating skills has no business in making themed cakes, unless she does the decorating way in advance, instead of spending the morning cursing at her misshapen project, instead of showering her birthday boy with love and affection. It also is less fun to decorate a cake when you can't use any food colorings. Although despite my gluten/casein/food color/preservative free creation he still melted down from all the sugar and had a really hard day after until the sugar left his system. The cake tasted fine though.




We spent the morning unwrapping gifts and playing with them. In the afternoon we went to Ezra's favorite playground to have a BBQ. The weather cooperated beautifully. We stayed out later than usual, so by the time we got home, Ezra was ready for sleep. Day over!

No comments:

Post a Comment