If it wasn't a daily occurrence it might be hilarious. When it happened yesterday I did in fact just start laughing.
We have early risers. Our kids go to bed at 7 pm, and then wake up usually around 6 am give or take 30 minutes. I'm pretty certain any kid is annoying to a parent who has gone to bed at too late an hour because they had to either get stuff done they couldn't do during the day, or because they just wanted to enjoy some peace and quiet. I'm not saying I'm the only lucky mom privy to such nocturnal nonsense. Micah gets up at 6 am this morning, and wants to snuggle. Usually my snuggle rule is no earlier then 6:30 am, because once snuggling commences I can't sleep (mostly because Micah launches into a tirade of questions). Micah was so loud Ezra woke up also, and came into our room. I don't know why I think every day, that they'll just come and cuddle with us. Apparently I have no access to my memories in early waking hours that would help me think better of it. Ezra isn't capable of just lying still and snuggling unless he's really sick. He moves around like an octopus, can't lay still for more than 3 seconds. Today he didn't even come to snuggle, but instead looked out our window. This is what followed, and this is a typical autistic behavior. It's called an ism, and specifically a vocal ism, meaning he will do a thing repetitiously, without interacting.
Ezra: look mommy, the stars.
Mom: yes, it's night time. We should be sleeping. I hope he heard the hint in that.
Ezra: look, mommy, stars.
Mom: mhm
Ezra: look, mommy, stars
Mom: I don't care
Ezra: look, mommy, stars
Mom: this is so autistic. I wish he would start his isms after 7 am
Ezra: mommy, stars
Mom: Remember son-rise. Be supportive, be interested, join his ism
Ezra: mommy, stars
Mom: Yes, stars are out a night time
Ezra: look mommy, stars
Mom: Maybe I should try distraction Hey Ezra, why don't you go read a book in your room?
Ezra: silent for a moment Look mommy the stars
Mom: oh right. Distraction doesn't work. Whatever. I'll just ignore him. Maybe I should write a blog post about this and count how many times he says it.
Ezra: Look mommy, stars ...repeats it 38 times....then silence for 30 seconds...switch to other noise ism...starts bouncing a glass marble repetitively on the floor to hear the noise it makes
Mom: Why me? Do parents of normal children have to deal with this?
Rest assured it isn't just Ezra. Many things he does reminds me of Jackson...like the snuggling part. I had to laugh. When Gray comes in early in the morning to snuggle he just melts into mine or Matt's arms and will stay pretty still for a good 20 minutes. Jackson hasn't done that in at least 3 years, but every once in a while I'm too tired to get up and try it and...within about 10 minutes I'm snarling at him and literally pushing him out of my bed, then stand up and force myself to get up because I know its no use. He likes routines, he knows exactly what he wants for breakfast, and he has a killer memory when it comes to things I tell him we can do at a future pint in time, "Mom, remember you said I could have a bacon and egg sandwich this morning?" Ugh. He also thinks its funny to say, "Mom? Mom? Mom? Mom?" until I scream, "What!". No, no Vanessa, you're not the only one that looses it before 7am. Love ya.
ReplyDeleteI hope this doesn't sound weird, but at least Ezra can talk. I took care of an autistic boy named Josh in my ward for about six years, when I was 12 to when I graduated from High School. I'd take him four days a week for about 3 hours, and he needed constant supervision and LOTS of physical interaction to wear him out since he only slept about 4 hours a night. Josh could not talk at all. He could just make this weird sound, which best types out as "Guh-huh" over and over and over. Constantly. So, although I wasn't his mom, I knew how difficult he was for the family and how he could not express himself at all. In the six years I took care of him, I only once heard him say a word, which was "no" which about shocked the pants off of me. So when you tell stories about Ezra, I think, "At least he can communicate." I hope this makes you feel somewhat better, you are so lucky Ezra can talk!
ReplyDelete