Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Big Change # 2 Gluten free, Casein free

We have been going Gluten Free and Casein free for almost 2 weeks now. Gluten is the protein found in many grain products, and Casein is the protein found in dairy. It has actually not been as big of a change, as I first thought it would be. It is definitely more expensive. Instead of buying a 90 cent loaf of bread, I now make one for about 3 Euros. It is less convenient (and let's face it convenience has done little for anyone's health), but honestly, freshly baked breast is the epitomy of comfort food. The gluten free mixes here are fantastic. Even Micah, who sneered at every crust eats the whole slice. The mixes are super easy to make. All I have to do is stir them up and put them in the loaf pan to rise for 1.5 hours. No kneading necessary. Then I bake it and voila, yummy fresh bread. The pasta is harder. There are the imported rice pastas but the kids don't like them as much, and they have not yet learned to appreciate the asian rice noodles. They do however like potatoes and rice, so they're more than covered on the starch front.


The Casein was also not too hard. If it was up to Ezra he would eat nothing but cheese, but he gets itchy skin and diarrhea when he eats it. His diet is really limited. The only way I can sneak some protein into his foods is through eggs or hummus. I found recipes online for gluten free pumpkin corn muffins, and have a pretty good recipe for gluten free pancakes.
I have noticed quite a difference in Micah since taking him off casein. He is still very stubborn, but he is more flexible now. In traditional chinese medicine dairy products are seen as phlegm producing, and too much phlegm in the system causes narrow mindedness. Both kids still run screaming when they see a vegetable though.

2 comments:

  1. my sister in law had a book where they suggested different ways to hide vegetables in food - one way that i have successfully hidden spinach was in frozen yogurt pops - b/c Kailea loves ice cream and popsicles and stuff like that - you can even use the soy yogurt when you make it - add some fresh fruit - like pineapple or peach and then throw in some spinach - blend it all up and whalaa - as long as it is sweet and frozen she eats it every time.

    she also suprisingly loved those zucchini/potato fritters/pancakes - i don't think she noticed the little green specks from the zucchini - she just thought - hey this is a pancake - Mom calls em pancakes so they must be good - and when they tasted more potato-ey - it was okay b/c she loves french fries.

    i gotta make more stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear that you are having success with the new diet for the family. We are traveling that road as well but Spencer has an egg/soy/milk allergy and I'm still trying to figure things out. It is expensive but, worth it in the end. We are all healthier and happier to be off the mess we use to buy in the stores.

    ReplyDelete