Friday, February 26, 2010

Big Change Nr 1# Last Day of School for Ezra

Today was Ezra's last day of school. His class had a goodbye party for him. I handed out little gifts to all the kids as is Dutch tradition. They in turn had made a gift for Ezra, a picture assembled with all their hand prints and names on it. Ezra loved it. I hung it up in his room, which made him very happy. One of his "isms" is names. (An "ism" is what the Autism Treatment Center calls a self-stimulating activity, that is calming and organizing to the autist.) He learns names after one mention, and will remember and recite them over and over.
I know that in the long run, the Son-Rise program is what he needs. He doesn't communicate properly yet (can't answer questions, doesn't respond when spoken to 80% of time, speaks only 2-3 word sentences, has difficulty articulating words, etc.) He wants so much to be part of the group, and despite even the language barrier and communication difficulties, the kids in his class here have taken to him like his former class mates in the States. Ezra has such a sweet, enthusiastic personality that makes him easy to love. Nonetheless, I do admit to having second thoughts about having him home full time. I couldn't help but worry when his friends waved goodbye to him, how much he would miss the taxi ride, and going to school, being part of a group. Of course, we've thought this over, and for Ezra to be able to make lasting friendships, and actually relate, communicate and play he will need special intervention. There is no way around it. Still, I must admit that I am worried for myself as well. Is that selfish? I don't know. Last year when I had him home full time from May to October I almost went crazy (of course we were also living in temporary housing for 9 weeks of that, moved across the Atlantic, and had to find housing while not understanding anyone around us, so that made it worse). And this last week, I had both boys in school in the morning, and had two hours to myself. I started singing and practicing again, and it is amazing how much happier I was. Sure we will have volunteers help us, but essentially there will never be a time where I am home alone. And when I am home the kids usually want me.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Vanessa. You're a great mom because you are willing to give all that you have to try and improve his situation. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa. I'm glad you've had time to sing!...alone. These day I crave "cave time". When the boys go down at 8pm I just want to be ALONE! You're awesome. I'm glad Ezra has made some friends. I need to catch up on the rest of your blog! I think we're out of B-town come May. We haven't been made an official offer by Cook yet, and some good opportunities have opened up else where. I don't know if they can compete. I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete