Sunday, September 13, 2009
Verdi Requiem in Brussels
I was chatting with Michelle DeYoung on facebook. Turned out she was singing the Verdi Requiem in Brussels on Thursday. She got us some tickets (thanks Michelle). I won't go into a lengthy review of the concert, which was excellent. Suffice it to say that the conductor was very energetic. I was equally impressed and amused by the silences he created. Hard to believe he's only 34. Having done the requiem with the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir last year, I thought that the 60 member choir was a bit thin compared to the 150 singers in ISC. Still, very nice. Michelle was easily the most enjoyable, never wavering in her vocal splendor and control. Her voice reminded me of a roaring river of smooth chocolate. Hearing the Requiem made me ache to get back into good practicing habits and to start looking for an agent here. Anyway, all during the concert I couldn't help but feel blessed. What a great date: to hear my most favorite composition ever, sung by a fantastic singer friend, in the city I love more than any other city in the world, with my husband, and then to go out after the concert to enjoy frites and a piping hot waffle while strolling on Grand Place. The Hotel de Ville was even lit up with a laser light show to a very strange but funny mixture of classical music and Abba. Aaron had to stop at one of the many chocolate stores that were still open despite the late hour. I feel so very fortunate and blessed. I didn't take any pictures because our camera couldn't have handled the darkness even if I had remembered to bring it along.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow. When Vanessa compares you to chocloate you KNOW it's good. :-D
ReplyDelete