Sunday, September 13, 2009

A new tradition


When we arrived in Eindhoven we soon discovered that the Dutch have very small ovens, and often have built in combi-ovens that you can use as a microwave (which they call magnetron here) and as a regular oven, or a combination of both. These are very small little contraptions and I was highly suspicious of them to say the least. In my mind I was already adapting my thanksgiving turkey recipe to cornish game hens. Nevertheless having picked far too many berries for 5 people to eat I decided to make a crumble and give these combi-ovens a shot. It turned out really great, thanks to the hot air convection setting. When we moved into our house we bought a combi-oven and my family has come to expect a crumble every Sunday. Truth be told I don't mind. It's easy to prepare, and if I had to pick my absolute favorite dessert it would be the crumble made with fresh fruit of the season.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa! This is Traci. I just checked out your blog and have read through the whole thing! I'm glad I can keep tabs on what you're up to. And I really want to know what your recipe is for the crumble, as I'm sure it's amazing, and I even have a convection oven at my house in Utah. If you have a chance let me know!

    Also -- what did you end up doing with your house in Indiana? Will you be long in Europe or is this temporary? I don't know any details but would love to know how your managing such an adventure. I am envious for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa! This is Mikiko. :) I'm glad you guys seem doing well there! I think that's the kind of microwave oven we have here in Japan. It can be used as a microwave or an oven. Very nice, but I miss big American ovens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This looks so good! We went to Broadview Park yesterday with the boys. When we got there Jackson asked if Ezra would be there (sad). Jackson said, "I like Ezra. He's a hyper guy." It was cute. We miss you all!!!

    ReplyDelete