Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How to get a picky eater to eat

This day was so exciting, I have to double blog about it. Check out my Son-Rise blog for Ezra's program here. It was the best day ever.
One thing that made this day so awesome was the fact that for the first time Ezra ate all the food I gave him, including chicken, and salad. Ezra is really food defensive. He's so stubborn and inflexible that he would not even tolerate chicken on his side of the table. Today however was different. Why, you can read on the blog. Here however is what I did specifically to get him to eat.

  1. Check my attitude: don't care if he eats it or not. If he wants more of his favorites, he has to eat the others first. I'm not going to fight about it or get upset if he doesn't eat or screams at me. He won't starve. He has enough food to sustain him.
  2. I bought a darling little tray with kittens on it.
  3. I arranged the food in a visually pleasing way, with at least two favorites (potatoes, and oranges)
  4. I bought a bowl in the shape of half an apple for his fruits
  5. I put salad in a separate little glass bowl on the tray.
  6. When he wanted more potatoes I explained that he had to eat everything else first. I explained why protein was good for his body, and what it would help him do (i.e., it builds your muscles, it helps you feel full), and that vegetables are very good for his stomach
  7. I celebrated him once for trying new foods, when he nibbled a bite of the chicken, and then completely ignored him and enjoyed my own food.
He ate the whole thing. It was amazing. And did I mention: he's never done that before.

I just added these pictures. This is not the lunch I was talking about, but nonetheless he ate it.

Rice and Beans is one of Ezra's favorites. Healthy, cheap, and easy! Right up my alley! Notice that the salad looks happy in this picture.


 I told Ezra: look the salad is happy. He giggled and turned the carrot around. Ezra: nope, sad salad, mommy! Touche kiddo.

Things you say to get your kids to eat: (very excited) look it's like green, curly spaghetti

No comments:

Post a Comment