Everyone tells me that I will look back on these moments when the house is empty and my children are grown and gone. I hope I do. I hope this blog stands that long, so I can read about how darling my children were. This post is just for my own memories, although of course you're welcome to read it.
My favorite time of day is after the kids had their bath. (I know I'm not the only mother who LOVES when her kids go to bed). Typically I'm tired and exhausted, and have to scrape the last bit of energy reserve to first read Ezra and then Micah a book, pray, sing songs, and kiss them goodnight. Ezra is usually ready to go to sleep first, and Micah lingers in the emptying bath while I read Ezra a story. Then comes my very favorite moment. Micah gets his blanky and sippy cup, and climbs on to my lap to snuggle for a story. His current favorite is the Ten Friendly Fish. Getting bored with just reading, I make up tunes to sing the stories to, as most of the text already rhymes anyway. When I'm extra tired I try to hurry the story along by just reading, but I always get two big eyes looking up from under long lashes demanding immediately: mommy sing. After we read the book he folds his hands and I help him say his prayer. He just barely is grasping the concept of being grateful and saying thank you, and when he does it affords me a precious little glimpse into what goes on in his mind. This was his "Thank You" section. Thank you for:
1.Kailea
2.Baby (by which I think he means Kailea's adorable baby sisters Ella)
3.Ducks
4.Baby Einstein
5.Anny (a 2 inch plastic doll with a ginormous head from his favorite show Little Einsteins)
6.Mommy (at this point, I was glad I even made the list)
7.Jesus
8.Daddy
9.Jesus
10. Granny and Ezra
The day's troubles and toils seem to melt away when I hold my darling, innocent, trusting two year old in my arms, and snuggle with him as I sing him his favorite songs. I try to savor these moments, because I know they won't last forever. I used to love snuggling with Ezra, but as he has grown into a preschooler, his need for snuggles at night have decreased. Mine haven't I found. 3 short years.
javascript:void(0)
Being a mother is so hard. Harder than anyone will ever understand who has no children of their own. The sleep deprivation, constantly repeating yourself, trying to do nice things for them and getting a tantrum as a result...the list that makes this "job" hard is long. But I also can't imagine feeling more loved, and finding a joy comparable to precious moments like these. It makes it worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment