Sunday, October 11, 2009

For my fellow insomniacs

Here a little glimpse into my head. Many nights I have difficulties falling asleep. I lie in bed and worry about my kids, worry about how things will work out for them, for us, what the world is coming to, things I have no control over, etc...in fact it seems that the longer I stay up, the more worries I come up with. Reason seems to go to sleep while my mind is doing pointless laps on a downward spiral. Last night I was particularly tired, still the worries plagued me. It was in trying to subdue them to get to sleep that I had a little epiphany (to which most of you, if not at least Aaron, will say ..."duh"). Worrying accomplishes nothing. All the things that I think and worry about are not solved with me worrying about them. Instead of planning and asking myself how can I make things work, worries only give me escalating worst-case scenarios. All they accomplish is making me sleep-deprived, tensed, anxious, and unproductive. After I realized that I was able to fall asleep right away. How about that!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it worked! And this must be a female thing, because many nights I do the same thing -- just stew over things while laying there. Stewing. And it accomplishes nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a little book for you to borrow... remind me about that next time you stop by

    ReplyDelete